With a strategic realignment, the Zertus Group sets the course for further growth and new market opportunities: In addition to the Functional Nutrition and Snacking & Chocolate market units, the segment for individualised sweet promotional products will be expanded into an independent Custom Sweets market unit and Healthy & Ethical will be integrated into the Gourmet market unit.
Well Plus Trade GmbH (WPT) has been expanding the Zertus Group's portfolio in the functional nutrition sector since September 2022. WPT offers protein sports nutrition, functional food and diet products as well as dietary supplements. With its Power System brand, WPT is the market leader for sports nutrition in Germany and Austria.
LPP Lotao Pack- und Produktions GmbH has been part of the Zertus Group since November 2021 and enriches the product range in the Healthy & Ethical market unit. Lotao stands for vegan, sustainable and high-quality organic products and makes forgotten culinary treasures accessible to gourmets in Europe.
The Sun Valley Nut Company joined the Zertus Group in November 2021 and strengthens the product range in the Snacking & Chocolate market unit. The nut experts from Bromborough, England, have more than 70 years of experience in sourcing and processing nuts and consistently create creative and high-quality snacks.
GAEA became the newest member of the Zertus Group in 2019 – there has been a strategic investment in the Greek company since 2015. Part of the Gourmet market unit, GAEA is an ambassador for a Greek/Mediterranean diet and stands for sustainability and quality.
Bio-Zentrale Naturprodukte GmbH, which produces, processes and markets products from controlled organic cultivation, joined the Zertus Group in 2017.
The acquisition of the listed Zetar Group in the UK in 2012 made Zertus a German-English corporate group at a single stroke. Together with its subsidiaries Kinnerton and Lir Chocolates, Zetar is the UK’s fourth-biggest chocolate manufacturer and the market leader for seasonal goods. Its company Humdinger is also a major supplier for nuts and dried fruit.
The tinned candy specialist Kalfany was acquired in 2002 and transformed into an export-oriented company by the subsequent acquisitions of Pulmoll, Echt Sylter Brisen and Süße Werbung.
Zuckerraffinerie Tangermünde Fr. Meyers Sohn GmbH was finally renamed Zertus GmbH in 2002.
Helmut Löser GmbH & Co. KG Waffelfabrik, a specialised producer of flat and moulded wafers, was acquired in 1991. Löser GmbH & Co. KG was sold to AUGUST STORCK KG as at 1 January 2018. Theodor Kattus GmbH joined the Group in 1999, before being resold to DF World of Spices GmbH in 2006.
The following years were characterised by acquisitions and efforts to form a strong, viable group of companies.
Following the acquisition of Importhaus Wilms in 1984, this company was expanded to become the leading importer of fine foods and sweets.
Since the 1980s, the company has transformed from being a producer to being a pure-play holding company that supports its subsidiaries in the marketing and distribution of their high-quality food and beverage products.
The company was rebuilt in Hamburg in 1949. Harking back to the old family tradition, it was named “Zuckerraffinerie Tangermünde Fr. Meyers Sohn GmbH”. In actual fact, however, it started out producing chocolate in Bremen. A short time later, the company secured an interest in Bremer Chocolade Hachez before buying it outright in 1987. The chocolate operations of Hachez and Feodora were sold to the grandson of Hachez’ founder in a management buy-out in the year 2000.
Soviet occupation forces expropriated the Meyer family in 1945. Its plants were largely dismantled.
In 1903, the company began using its sugar for itself: A canned fruit factory was founded and in 1910 the company began producing high-quality chocolate and pralines under the “Feodora” brand. After some of the plant was destroyed by a fire in 1923, a modern sugar cube factory was built on the same spot in 1925.
The sugar refinery was already processing 100,000 tonnes of unrefined sugar in 1900. The plant had warehouses, its own industrial port and a power station. There was also a factory hospital and other social facilities.
His sons Friedrich Theodor and Friedrich Hugo Meyer took over the company in 1865. They increased sales substantially and also began exporting to England and overseas from 1882.